Friday, February 18, 2005

Is RFID the mark of the beast?

Is RFID the mark of the beast?

Few new technologies get conspiracy theorists going quite like the VeriChip--an implantable electronic identification device for humans.

A new book about "the disturbing satanic influences in America" dedicates two whole chapters to VeriChip and a related technology known as radio frequency identification, or RFID. The book, titled "The Resistance Manifesto," equates VeriChip with "the mark of the beast," which the Bible's book of Revelations describes as a demonic numbering system for people.


I have really hesitated in calling the VeriChip the "mark of the beast", but I tell you what, if I was ever told to have one implanted in me, I would surely refuse. Something about it really rubs me the wrong way. Also, think about this: If the RFID/Verichip current generation is as small as a grain or rice, how small will it be in 10 years... how about 20? At that point people could be "tagged" at birth and never even know...