Friday, May 12, 2006

NSA PHONE TAPPING: DON'T LET 'EM GET AWAY WITH IT!

When the first NSA wiretapping "scandal" hit at the end of last year, I could have cared less.  I thought to myself, "Isn't this what our government should be doing?  Keeping track of known terrorists, tracking their calls, and breaking up their networks."  It was a good thing for me.  I heard all the hand-wringing on the left and thought it was overblown hype.  To a certain extent... it was.  I mean, we are at war.  Whether they like it or not, Islamic radical ghouls want to slit (all of) our throats, or convert us.  This is a battle they have been waging for over 1000 years and I will fight them with everything I have... and I want my government to do the same.

But... now... this.  The NSA has a database of every call, ever made in the U.S. since 9/11.  WTF!?!  This is crazy.  I know they aren't actively "listening" to these calls, but this could go bad very quickly.  Every American, left or right, liberal or conservative, should be concerned about the breadth of this program.  Many knee-jerk Republicans will, of course, try to defend the Administration over this.  Their arguments are ridiculous.  If Hillary and her cabal are swept into office in 2008, and this program is still in place, what is to stop them from sifting through the massive database looking for political "enemies" (that would be me).  We are one step away here, from Police State USA.  We need to be very careful just how many liberties we allow ANY government to take.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,