Tuesday, November 06, 2007

2008 Presidential Primary Data Tracker... Polls, Money, Blogs, Web, more!

There's a lot of data out there on the 2008 Election... but it isn't always that easy to find. When I was doing my Media Showdown post a few weeks ago, I noticed that I had to do a lot of leg work just to gather the data that I needed for the analysis. I figured there had to be an easier way... unfortunately, I was wrong!. It's scattered all over the place. In an effort to consolidate this data, I decided I would put together a set of graphs & charts to help track the important data for this election cycle. So, I've pulled together, tracked, and charted what I felt were some of the most important metrics. Please note that this will be a living post... The data presented here is LIVE (thank you Google Spreadsheets!) and will continue to be updated throughout the election cycle. I hope it provides a 'one-stop shop' for 2008 Election data and charting. I would love to keep adding more charts here so please chime in with requests!

[Request from me: Anyone out there have a Lexis-Nexis account they can let me borrow for a few hours? I would love to chart out Media Mentions in the MSM over 2007, but don't have access...If you do, drop me a line!]


Polls

All the poll data which these charts are based on comes from our friends at RealClearPolitics. What I have done is just map the polls to each month to give an overall meta-monthly average for each "top-tier" candidate. Poll data will be updated about once a week or so...

Democratic Presidential Candidates - Aggregated Poll Numbers Over 2007



Republican Presidential Candidates - Aggregated Poll Numbers Over 2007




Money

Fundraising figures are a bit more complex as the reporting of these by candidates is only mandated quarterly. I have taken most of the figures here from PoliticalBase.com and supplemented this with data directly from Federal Election Committee. If anyone see's any issue with the data, I am happy to correct it!

Democratic Presidential Candidates - Fundraising Per Month



Democratic Presidential Candidates - Cumulative Fundraising Per Month



Democratic Presidential Candidates - % Fundraising Per Month



Republican Presidential Candidates - Fundraising Per Month


Republican Presidential Candidates - Cumulative Fundraising Per Month


Republican Presidential Candidates - % Fundraising Per Month




Republican vs. Democratic Fundraising Per Month


Republican vs. Democratic Cumulative Fundraising Per Month




Blogosphere

Blogosphere influence is measured using Google Blog Search with the search string for each candidate being: "firstname lastname". Measurements were taken for each month (from the first day through the last). This data will be updated at the conclusion of each month...

Democratic Presidential Candidates - Blogosphere Mentions Per Month


Democratic Presidential Candidates - % Blogosphere Mentions Per Month



Republican Presidential Candidates - Blogosphere Mentions Per Month



Republican Presidential Candidates - % Blogosphere Mentions Per Month



Republican vs. Democratic Blogosphere Mentions Per Month





Web

Web influence is measured using Compete.com's monthly "People Count" number. From their site, this metric "triangulates multiple data sources, including ISP, Panel & Toolbar to estimate U.S. traffic." Tracking was done using each candidates primary election web site.

Democratic Presidential Candidates - Web Visitors Per Month


Democratic Presidential Candidates - % Web Visitors Per Month




Republican Presidential Candidates - Web Visitors Per Month



Republican Presidential Candidates - % Web Visitors Per Month




Republican vs. Democratic Web Visitors Per Month




Search Trends

Search trends were based on searches for each candidates names using Google Trends. Unfortunately, Google does not provide numbers for me to chart, so these are just static screenshots made as of this posting. I will update these once a month or so... If you would like to pull the latest up to the second trends, please use these links: Democratic Candidates... Republican Candidates.

Democratic Presidential Candidates - Search Trends Per Month


Republican Presidential Candidates - Search Trends Per Month

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,